UX Storyboard Creation: A Complete Guide For Beginners
uxstudio | Mar 12, 2019
UX storyboard creation seems like a slightly overlooked design technique. We all know the value of user interviews or personas. We agree that testing is a crucial part of product design. In contrast, people do not commonly use storyboarding, even though it can help in many situations. As a true fan of the technique, in this guide, I want to walk you through all the whys and hows of UX storyboard creation. Plus, I even made a free template for you to get started!
What is a storyboard?
Storyboards in product design
We have personas and journeys. Why do we need UX storyboard?
- Visual benefits
- Emotional engagement
When to storyboard?
- During the discovery phase of a new product
- While building the product
- Mapping a whole service
- Digital product with offline events
Important note: Drawing skills don’t matter!
How to design a first UX storyboard
- Step one – Get some data!
- Step two – Pick a flow to focus on
- Step three – Write down the plot steps and basic outline of the story
The main character
For some guidance at this stage, feel free to download our free Storyboard Template:
- Step four – Add emotions and scene details
- Step five – Create the storyboard!
Author = Luca Morovián (uxstudio)